Monday, October 22, 2012

Changes

Mike and I have been creating and selling our artwork since 2004. Our art can be found in collections, homes and offices throughout North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, South Africa and Australia.

Since 2004 we have collectively sold more than 2000 original paintings and more than 4000 fine art prints. Through these sales we've managed to make a living, maybe a small one but a living non-the-less. We quit our "Day" jobs years ago and are very proud of this.

Our business has evolved through the years, and with it, our artistic abilities.


We started selling our art online via Ebay in 2004. It was a family thing back then. We were part of the ZOA Group (Zatloukal Original Artist Group) and sold our work alongside my parents Charlene and Pat Zatloukal as well as my brother Patrick. But in 2006, I lost my father, Pat Zatloukal who passed away from Cancer. And the ZOA Group disbanded.



"Remembering Picket Fences"
by Jaime Zatloukal Best (Pictured on the left) was inspired by her Father Pat Zatloukal's Work "Picket Fences" (Pictured below)





It is understandable that we all went through a "Dark Period" then. I personally adopted the "Brush" Name Bellatrix and began creating much darker work than I ever had previously. These works were sold in a few galleries as well as a spattering of places on the internet.

"Infinite Sadness"
by Bellatrix


But the darkness passed and I set aside the "Brush" name and began creating works more fitting to Jaime Zatloukal Best again.

Mike and I established BestArtStudios in 2007 and began branding the name in a variety of places on the internet (including this little neglected blog here). Our primary site being on Etsy. Our 5 year Etsy Anniversary would have arrived next month but I guess that wasn't meant to be.

Two weeks ago Etsy closed our shop and left us waiting for an explanation. When a week later the explanation came it was absurd.  Mike and I had paid a fellow Etsy users shop fees a while back to help them out of a bind. When said shop had an issue arise that caused it's closure, our Shop was closed as well. We were told there was financial overlapping between the accounts so we were being held responsible for said shop. Our income there has come to a halt and there is seemingly not much we can do about it. With the exception of a couple of Custom Paintings drying in the studio all open orders have been shipped and once the Custom Paintings are finally dry enough to ship, Mike and I will close our Etsy shop for good. We can not continue to sell on a site that would make us responsible for another users account.

So, we're moving on... and BestArtStudios can now be found on Zibbet.

"Losing my religion 51"
by Mike Best

Zibbet is small little market place (much like Etsy was years ago) that offers Handmade items and gives Indie Artist, like us, a place to sell their work.

Thanks for reading,
Jaime Best

2 comments:

  1. Love your art and Mike's Art...I am so praying that Zibbet will be as great for your art sales as the 'old' Etsy was. Unfortunately, the 'new' Etsy' may be 'destined' to go the same way eBay did after what they did to their artists there. Some venues just have a hard time 'admitting' that what they 'thought' would be a good idea...just wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really stinks... and I'm disappointed that Etsy didn't show more understanding. (I've ordered prints from you, Jaime, before and I'm waiting around for a big ol' painting to catch my eye. Etsy lost that future sale.)

    Maybe it is time for your to have your own site to sell the art on? I run a small digital agency at Bard + Davis http://barddavis.com/ We are primarily consultants, but we handle everything from websites to branding and PR. We should talk!

    My email is andrew@barddavis.com or my cell 718.208.3223 if you are interested in talking it over.

    ReplyDelete